Adding water to a drying out cholent on shabbos

Is Adding water from a kli sheni to a drying out cholent on shabbes muttar?
I saw a pri megadim in Siman שיח
That’s says it is assur,
Thank you

It’s Assur

1 Like

Even if the water is still boiling?

Technically the water wouldn’t be boiling in a kli sheni, but you are correct that if the water is still hot (yad soledet) you may add water to the cholent.

This is true if there is a blech. Therefore the question at hand is related to Chazarah.
However, if there is no blech, one may not add water the the cholent.

3 Likes

When adding water, the cup shouldn’t be put down at any point.
Fill up from the urn and put it straight into the cholent.

What constitutes a blech in regards to a crock pot used as a Cholent pot ?
Is Covering of knob required ?

As to a blech on a crock pot. There are 2 possible crock pot types that I am aware of.

1.It is similar to a hot plate that the crock pot sits on.
2.The crock pot is inserted into a casing.

As to #1. You may place aluminum foil on top of the “hot plate” portion and make sure it is visibly sticking out, so you can see it when the crock pot is on it.

As to #2. Make a number of balls from foil paper and place them inside the insert, so that the pot is visibly raised when sitting on those aluminum foil balls.

As to the knobs they are a non issue. They don’t need to be covered and if they are it offers no benefit.

1 Like

Can I stir the cholent on Shabbos while it’s in the crock pot (with no aluminum foil ‘blech’)or on the stove which has a blech? Stirring Friday nite or Shabbos morning?

If the food is fully cooked and you know it is fully cooked, then you may stir it even if its on the fire.