Asking different Rabbis different questions

Hello,

I saw on another post on the site that Reb Lasry was explaining to someone how one should find a Rav for themselves and only seek halachic ruling from them, not to jump around from Rabbi to Rabbi (I couldn’t locate the other post, so I’m writing a new one).

Does that mean that one cannot ask different rabbis different questions even if he/she is not looking for eniencies and ways to get out of doing stuff? I can understand that “shopping around” for an easy pesak is problematic, but is it also an issue to just stam ask different rabbis that you know and trust different things? What would be the reason for avoiding this?

Hope it doesn’t come off as hostile in any way. I’m merely curious about the answer. Not looking for a debate of any kind. Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for your very respectful question. Please accept the answer in kind.

You are correct in your distinction, yet nevertheless even when not shopping for leniencies one should still pick a Rav and stick with him. If you permit me I’ll use a mashal. Let us say you are building a beautiful home and are somewhat knowledgeable in architecture. Instead of hiring one architect and consistently pass everything by him, you instead pick and choose, this concept from him, The next idea from the other , Yet a third idea from another. What would you think the house would look like? It probably would collapse before you even finish it.

Nimshal. Every Rav has his style of psak. Moreover each psak is based on certain principals which quite possibly can conflict with another unless they are all coalesced into one specific derech.

The Rav/Posek himself, on the other hand can take differing opinions and make a homogeneous ruling, so the concept does exist, but there too he must be consistent.

As a follow up question, using the same mashal, if I’m building a home, wouldn’t I want an expert architect in each area of the home? One to put in the most stable foundation, another to build an beautiful structure another to install the best kitchen, etc. None can be an expert in all areas. Nimshal- if I have a question of Orekh Hayim, I would speak with my local rabbi, but if I have question regarding medical procedures wouldn’t it behoove me to find a rabbi that is both an expert in halakha and medicine?

It is very sad that you write “None can be an expert in all areas”. It “behooves” Klal Yisroel to turn out Rabbonim that are experts in all shas and all 4 sections of the shulchan aruch. If there is a medical shaila the Rav can discuss it with a medical professional.