Carrying a Stun Gun on Shabbos

In light of the recent anti-semitic attacks on Frum Jews I am considering purchasing a stun gun to protect myself and others. I’m told it is legal in New York state. I wonder whether it is permitted to carry it on Shabbos with and without an eruv.

3 Likes

There are two potential issues with your question: Hotzaha (carrying) and Muktzeh. Regarding carrying, if there isn’t an eruv, it is not allowed unless of course there is imminent danger. If there is an eruv, it would be permitted to carry, but not in the holster, only in your hand as we are worried you may leave the eruv without noticing and therefore be in violation of hotzaha. Regarding muktzeh, it would be allowed to use a gun if there was imminent danger. The Rav so far does not feel that the current situation is considered imminent danger and therefore does not permit the carrying of a gun at all times. Storing it in a shul or home to be used in times of need may be more practical.

1 Like

Hi, Shalom Rav. I wanted to mention some points, and see what you guys thought. I regularly carry a firearm on a daily basis and am well trained in its proper use. First off I was thinking just like a CPR certified person may carry his mask around, so that in the event of a life-threatening emergency, he can quickly and efficiently save people’s lives, so too with carrying a weapon. In the event of a possible life-threatening emergency, loss of life can be prevented. I am aware about the mahloket in gemara about carrying swords on Shabbat, However, I would think that both because of our current situation and with the advance of the destructiveness of firearms leading to catastrophic outcomes if not stopped in a timely manner, there is much more at stake than in the past. Also, what about carrying with a shinuy such as an upside down holster etc…
I’d like to know your thoughts on the matter, Thanks!

Your assumption about someone certified in CPR is incorrect. He is still not allowed to carry it with him at all times.