More Nick's Ice Cream - Vegan and lab created dairy!

Dear Rabbaim,
You’ve posted elsewhere that Nick’s “regular” ice cream is kosher and KP, thank you. I wanted to also ask about their vegan line.

1. is this is also Kosher and, if so, is it KP? (The “Non-Animal Whey Protein” ingredient may give you pause, so go to question #2 for that). Here are the ingredients and a product link

Filtered Water, Soluble Corn Fiber, Allulose, Strawberries, EPG (modified plant-based oil), Coconut Oil, Erythritol, Non-Animal Whey Protein, Glycerol, Natural Flavor, Sorbitol, Acacia Gum, Modified Corn Starch, Almond Protein, Dipotassium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Salt, Tara Gum, Carob Gum, Steviol Glycosides, Colored with vegetable juice and beta carotene, Citric Acid, Xanthan Gum, Stevia Leaf Extract, Monk Fruit Extract, Ascorbic Acid. Contains: Milk Protein, Coconut, Almond

1. This is a fascinating question for me, and i hope for you as well- Nick’s markets their vegan ice cream as having “non animal whey protein”, which is made by a company called Perfect Day: https://perfectdayfoods.com/
    They seem to create nature-identical (or similar enough) dairy protein from plants! Process – Perfect Day

Is this “dairy” considered dairy, or is it pareve? Meaning, could it be eaten on fleishik plates, consumed with fleishiks, or without waiting after eating meat?

This is obviously a very exciting implication and I’m very interested to know your thoughts. Thank you so much!

1. Kosher parve. Regarding KP status, ask us closer to Pesach.
  2. This is indeed fascinating. We need to do more research and get back to you. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Thank you so much. I’m a bit confused - you say it’s “kosher pareve”, but then seem to say you need to do more research on the Perfect Day “dairy”.

It’s very exciting that it’s kosher, thank you. I’ll wait for an update about its “pareve” status. And for Pesach, I’ll ask again. Thank you!

Because when Whey protein is mixed into another product, it is considered pagum and batel to the rest of the food. There the item is parve. But if its on its own, there is a question of Achshevei. That being said, after further research and reading how they produce the proteins, the perfect day whey protein is fully parve. Thank you for sharing as this is a truly fascinating development in the food industry.

1 Like