Soy breakfast Sausage (is it kosher?)

Ingredients

Water, Textured Wheat Gluten, Soy Protein Concentrate,canola oil, natural flavors (from Vegetable Sources), wheat protein concentrate, egg whites, soy protein isolate, methylcellulose, organic evaporated cane sugar, organic tapioca dextrose, carrageenan, black pepper, caramel color, yeast extract, salt

Kosher

Thank you. Now, may I please ask on what halachic principles you are relying to affirm this is kosher based solely of the ingredients? I happen to know that this product is produced on the same equipment as non kosher meat and poultry using HOT cooking procedures. Thank you. Please note, I really do want to know, and am not trying to “be smart” or criticize.

Not solely, but primarily. Do you happen to know if they clean the equipment in between? Does it taste like meat?

There are certain standards that are pretty much a given on packaged products in the US…

1 Like

Can you address further the topic of equipment cleaning, and halachic implications like heat transfer?

Before we address this further, we’d like to confirm that this is a packaged product that is manufactured in an American plant and something you prepare at home, not bought prepared at a local restaurant or convenience store?

of course, I’m interested to learn more about how ben yoma applies (or doesn’t) in regards to factory runs where we have no knowledge of 24hr wait cycles between runs that may have included dairy

Ben Yomo wouldn’t apply here, since the factory is not the one asking the question if they should or should not use this equipment.

The issue that you are presenting is Taaruvot. The first Siman in Hilchot Taaruvot in Shulchan Aruch discusses the criteria. The only issue is if the item has a flavor from the non-kosher item, period. 1/60th or Kefela Armaah or anything else is only a way to determine if the non-kosher provides flavor. As the others mentioned above, in America in the 21st Century, this is not a problem. All manufactured products are made in a way that you can never taste a different product even though they used the same equipment at different times. There’s a cleaning process and they’re very careful. The risk of lawsuits even exceed the fear of the USDA and other government. Especially they are careful to avoid losing their customer base. I’m sure you never tasted one cereal’s flavor while eating a different cereal. You never tasted meat while eating cheeses. The defining criteria to cause food to become not kosher is FLAVOR.
I encourage you to learn the Sugya and understand it clearly.

2 Likes