Why more stringent?

I follow the Kashrut guidance of Rabbi Abadi through this website and I just wonder why the greater Jewish community basically tells me that it’s not kashrut…

I have been told I’m a renegade and am not following the majority opinion.

I have also been told this guidance is only for Baal Teshuvas and converts and once you become more religious you make the “proper changes” and become more mainstream. As in following the majority opinions of kashrut.

Any thoughts and how can I defended my self since this isn’t really the majority opinion of the greater Jewish community. Thanks

1 Like

I would like to answer your question from my own personal perspective not only as a moderator on this site, but as a dedicated student of Rabbi Abadi for 36 plus years. So we are in the same “club” I too follow his kashrut guidelines and its been working well for me for many years.

The concept of following ones Rav is actually quite simple and should not have to be defended. Nevertheless lets understand this from a historical point of view. In earlier years (pre-telephone) Jews lived in small communities and had little contact with the rest of the Jewish world. This necessitated a dependance on a local Halachic Authority to rule on all aspects of Torah life. Surely in difficult cases The aforementioned Rav would send a telegram, letter, messenger or such, to a higher authority for clarification but by in large each Rav had to rule on many varied cases.

The way of Torah for thousands of years has been precisely that. When asked a Halachic query, a Torah scholar would review the pertinent sources and rule. And that’s how Hashem intended it, after being exiled from our holy land and our Sanhedrin, each and every qualified Torah Authority would rule as he sees fit. You could find one town that follows a certain ruling and another town that would follow a completely different approach. The concept was not a foreign one.

(As an aside, I remember Rav Abadi telling me a remarkable story of a particularly difficult case of a women expecting twins, and the doctors said one of them must be aborted or both will die. The Rav had a view on the matter but wanted to consult with the Gaon Rav Shlomo Zalman Auerbach, Rav Shlomo Zalman heard the Ravs view but held differently, each one held his and was not able to sway the other. Finally Rav Shlomo Zalman innocently stated, "Rav Yitzchak, the question came to you, not to me, pasken (rule) as you see fit. - Wonders of wonders. we are talking about a life of a unborn child, yet it all boils down to whom the question came to. Both were Torah true answers.)

To return to our topic, today, with the advent of the telephone up to today’s reliance on social media, we are all, one small super connected community that is constantly looking over his proverbial shoulder to make sure we are no different than any one else. Kashrus, like many other aspects has allowed the “keeping up with Jones’ mentality” to dictate how we live our lives. The Rav has never followed nor allowed this phenomenon to pervade his Halachic rulings. He does not look over his shoulder to constantly check if he is following the herd or not. (Actually, many of his rulings have become the norm some 20 years down the road) For a greater understanding of this I refer you to the foreword of the Ravs sefer, Ohr Yitzchak, where he lays out his approach better than I ever will be able to convey here.

So I hope I have answered your question. You have nothing to apologise or defend by following your Rav. Moreover this is the way Torah was decided for generations.

Lastly I want to invite you not only to “follow the Kashrut guidance of Rabbi Abadi through this website” as you said but to follow all his rulings wherever they may lead, be it stingency or leniency.

11 Likes

Fascinating story between the rav and rav Schlomo Zalman , thanks for sharing

2 Likes

I thought this message sent a long time ago! Thank you Soo much for clarifying for me you’ve done wonders! Keep up all the great work may you have Hatzlacha in every thing you put your hand to do!

Chag sameach!