Yashan and Hadash

Shalom,

I know this came up on the previous site. Can you please discuss and post the Halachic answer to this question of Hadash and Yashan and the reasoning of why Rav Abadi Paskens leniently when it comes to this. What are the reasons behind the response?
Please address.

In the US, by the time any flour hits the store shelves it’s already yashan.

It’s based on a Sfek Sfeka. What’s the safek Sfeka?

Not sure what you mean.

Double doubt

I know what safek sfeka means. I’m not sure how it pertains to this question.
In the US we don’t have Chadash. What’s the safek sfeka?

I believe that is what was said in the old website (form). That it’s because of a Safek Sfeka. O would like to see and know the reasoning.

I’m with Rav Abadi now and just confirmed.

Just to be clear, there is a concept of safek sfeka in hilchos chadash, but we dont even need to come onto that.

1 Like

This is a new topic for me and so I wrote to a popular flour company here in the States and they assured me that some of their flours on the store shelves are really Chadash or mixed with Chadash. I was very relieved to hear Rav Abadi’s psak but now I am left confused.

The flour companies would prefer that you are under the impression that their flour is Chadash.

1 Like

Here is what the non-Jewish flour company wrote me -

“All of our White Whole Wheat flour is Yoshon. For our AP flour,
Bread and traditional Whole Wheat if the lot code ends in NT it is Yoshon.
If it doesn’t end in NT, it was planted after April 16th, hasn’t been
through Passover and/or is mixed with Chodosh wheat.”

It’s a non-Jewish flour company that has an OU hechsher.

How would it benefit them to lie to me? Or how would it benefit the OU to give erroneous information to this flour company?

As I wrote before, I would much prefer the situation where there is no such thing as Hadash on US store shelves.

That’s what the reps are trained to say. Nothing new. The Machmirim know this too.

So to be Mattir in Issur D’oriyta of Hadash we can rely on the companies lying
But to be mattir foods based on ingredients we will never say theyre lying?

Correct. Companies do not face any consequences for lying about hadash. They do face hefty fines and possibly getting their business shut down if they lie about ingredients.

1 Like

Just to be correct. At best its a safek Deoryasa, or Derabanan. (we are in Hutz learetz)

What would be their gain in lying? In fact wouldn’t they be loosing customers if they claim that its Hadash?

Every company wants to say their product is new and fresh. They only stand to lose by saying its old.

They arent worried about being sued that they lied and thereby made us do what our religion doesnt allow?

When you buy a bag of flour in the grocery you will have no way to verify when the grains of that bag were harvested. You would not be able to prove anything in a lawsuit.