Can I speak up?

Some information has fallen into my lap regarding a coworker who, if the information is accurate, is taking business away from the company we work for. This will ultimately lead to a monetary loss for my boss. Can I inform my boss of what I have heard (and let him begin an investigation), or is this considered lashon Harah?

On one hand, if my coworker would lose their job, it’ll be my fault because I am the only one in the company who knows of this.
On the other hand, I feel obligated to inform my boss if he is being cheated by an employee.

These are tricky situations and the Halacha is based on very specific details of each case.

You would need to know with certainty that this person is taking business away. Just because someone else told you so isn’t enough.

You will also need to know with certainty that this person is doing the wrong thing by taking the business away from your boss. It is entirely possible that referring clients elsewhere is appropriate. So what may seem like an employee stealing clients may actually not be so.

After you know with certainty that this employee is taking business away from your boss and also know with certainty that the employee is wrong to take the business away… Then you can ask you Rav the specifics of the situation. Until then, you may not tell the boss.

1 Like