Garbage bags

Is it muttar to open these garbage bags on shabbos ? (See attached pictures. There’s small sections which seem like the plastic is connected - hard to tell if it’s perforated or just fused )

It’s Muttar.

I would just like to add that there are other items that are perforated that may not be ripped on Shabbat. This isn’t a general Heter for tearing perforated items.

UPDATE: We spent a lot of time discussing various perforated items including a number of different garbage bags. While Rabbi Abadi has permitted the use of certain ones, he has prohibited the use of others.
Being that every item needs to be seen and decided individually, we cannot say whether the product in question is ok to use on Shabbos.

Hi @Yisrael.Kleinhendler could you be a little clearer about the types of things that are actually problematic and why?

Some common items I often have questions on and so generally avoid:-

• Tissue boxes - circle perforation in the middle. Alternative is to open the side though it’s not ideal.
  • Teabags joined together.
  • Toilet paper (I always tear toilet paper on Shabbat with a shinui and not along the perforation.
  • Prescription medications (not a perforation as such, more a foil that is pierced. Often this will have text on it.)
  • Garbage bags that are on one long roll and you tear the perforation in order to create the bag. Maybe this is also an issue of makeh bapatish (?)

Thanks!

• Tissue boxes - circle perforation in the middle. Alternative is to open the side though it’s not ideal.
    Answer: permissible to open in middle on top. No intention to make a klei.

• Teabags joined together.
    Answer; Not permissible.

• Toilet paper (I always tear toilet paper on Shabbat with a shinui and not along the perforation.
    Answer; This is not the correct approach. Use precut toilet paper or Tissues. Your approach is only permitted “ bediavad” if accidentally there are no tissues in the restroom.

• Prescription medications (not a perforation as such, more a foil that is pierced. Often this will have text on it.)
    Answer: open which ever way you desire. Additionally There is no prohibition in cutting the text as this is not the way to write/erase.

• Garbage bags that are on one long roll and you tear the perforation in order to create the bag. Maybe this is also an issue of makeh bapatish (?)
    Answer: see previous post above . This needs to be asked on a case by case basis

2 Likes

Thank you. :slight_smile: