Gas on Yom Tov

Is their a way to turn this off on Yom Tov before Shabbat starts?

Yes. Blow out the flame. Then turn to off.

You could try it now, make sure it works.

Actually I just realized that one of them does turn off when blown off. The problem is the light for that one is off and then can turn on when trying to turn off completely

First time I tried it worked. Not working since then. Any other way? Perhaps water? Also letโ€™s say the water works. If turning the knob the electric light would then go off

We are not worried about the light.

Thanks. Would it be possible then to have 2 of them on. Then turn the first off by hand ( the knob) and the second blown off and then the knob turned off ( as said above) ?

The reason you cant โ€œturn knob by handโ€ is only because in the picture you provided to turn off regularly would mean that you would be making the fire higher first, then subsequently you reach the OFF setting.

The problem here is you are making a fire on yom tov for no reason. (Turning off the flame is not a need that would allow highering the flame)

Thatโ€™s why I told you to first blow out the flame which is permissible and then just turn off the gas.

1 Like

What about turning it higher to cook (heat) something. Have it on the high and then turning it off. Would doing it with a shinui help in any way as well?

For cooking you can lower or higher
To turn it off you should lower it and then blow it out and turn off the gas

1 Like

Why are you worried about the flame jumping itโ€™s ืคืกื™ืง ืจื™ืฉื™ื” ื“ืœื ื ื™ื—ื ืœื™ื” on a havarah which is derabonon because on havarah we say ืžืชื•ืš ืฉื”ื•ืชืจื” ืœืฆื•ืจืš ืื•ื›ืœ ื ืคืฉ ื”ื•ืชืจื” ืฉืœื ืœืฆื•ืจืš

That is precisely my question Iโ€™m trying to understand the words of the great gaoen I Bh have both the gaoen seforim why is it ื“ืืจื™ื™ืชื
If there is ืžืชื•ืš

(sorry, no Hebrew fonts on my keyboard) Mitoch will allow you to fire up water to bath in even-though its not ochel nefesh , it can not on the other hand matir the issur of Havarah shelo lezorech klal.

Disclaimer: I have not heard this from the Rav.

Your question I believe, is since we have the klal of โ€œmitochโ€ even if I do it shelo letzorech โ€œklalโ€, meaning no reason whatsoever, it should only go down one level i.e to a derabanan. And you want to know why The Rav says it is Deoraysa. So while you are correct in that assumption in that the Shulchan Aruch and the Beis Yosef in the understanding of the Rambam, do consider at most only derabanan (see 518:1), many Rishonim and Rov achronim consider it a Deoraysa and that is the way The Rav came out of the sugya as well. This is why he considers bishul shelo letzorech klal an issur deoryasa.