Gas stove mutar on yom tov?

Dear rabbis,

Am I correct in thinking that since the pilot flame is always on a gas stove, if one “turns on” the burner knob, it is simply an extension of the fire and not a new one, and hence one would be allowed to operate it/cook on tom tov?

Thanks!

Yes, but that is rare in newer models. Just make sure that when turning on the bruner, there isnt a lighter which usually goes on to start the flame.

Mbitton (or whoever catches it first),

Can you please clarify what you mean by “lighter to start the flame” in your response? The stove has an electric starter, but I plan on unplugging it and turn the gas on using a pre-existing fire.

Thank you for the clarification.

That’s perfect. @Mbitton was referring to the starter

After unplugging electric starter gas stove and lighting it with a pre existing flame, can you shut the fire? Or do you then need to leave it on?

You can shut it as long as you don’t raise the flame first.
Many stoves go from low to high to off. In that case, best thing to do is blow out the flame and then turn the knob off.

Mine just lowers until off. Can I turn it off like that? It is ok to turn off a flame like that? I have guests that will ask.

That’s fine.

I thought there was a difference. when we turn off the gas, there is grama, and when we blow it out, there is none. what do you say?

There’s no issue stopping the flow of gas. No כיבוי

I thought that without groma, the Rabbi says, for halakhah and not for maase.

The Rav told us Lemaaseh we can turn off the stove on Yom Tov after cooking.

of course you can turn it off.
however, blow out the fire it’s alaha ve lo lemaase, because then there is no element of grama

Does this p’sak in regards to כיבוי apply to Shabbos as well or is this only for Yom Tov?

There is also a shut off valve under the stove that does not go up before it goes down

Yes Only on Yom Tov

Yes you are correct. The gas valve will also work correctly