Grill Mat on non kosher bbq

Can a grill mat be used on a nonkosher barbecue grill? If so, do any other measures need to be taken, does it matter if it’s gas or charcoal, and can cover be placed down?

If you use this and you don’t clean the grill, then you have to be very careful that the food stays on the mat only. It’s easier to clean the grill and then turn it in for a few minutes. Then the grill is Koshered. But if you prefer, you can use the mat as is.

1 Like

it’s very hard to clean a grill if you really want to get it clean. How much do you actually have to clean it?

Clean it as much as you would normally clean it and then let it burn the rest for a few minutes till there’s certainly nothing edible left.

Do you only have to clean the grate?

If I replace the grates is that good enough? The rest of the “food” in the grill is ash at that point.

I’m not getting the question. If you replace the grate, of course it is good. If you clean the grate and then heat it, it’s good.
If you burn everything to ash, it’s good. Just it might be a bit gross. Additionally, sometimes you think you burnt everything to ash and then you find that something was not completely burnt.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I didn’t word the questions correctly. But you still answered it beautifully.

1 Like

if you just replace the grates or use a grill mat, can you put the top/cover down?

Yes

If I wanted to cook with a cast iron pan on top of the grates of a non-kosher bbq, is this OK too?

Yes

1 Like