Hamosi or mezonot?

Dear rabbis,

Shavua tov. What is the beraha for the item below? It is a mixture of semolina flour and wheat with cheese inside. Ingredients below:

Dough
• 200 g (1 1/3 cup) flour
• 200 g (1 1/3 cup) semolina
• 10 g (1½ tsp) salt
• 10 (1 fool tbsp ) fresh yeast
• 220 ml (1 cup) lukewarm water

Stuffing
• 200g (7¼ fl. Oz) Cheese (like feta cheese)
• 60 g olive oil (1/3 cup)
• Salt
• Garlic
• Mint
• thyme
• Pomegranate (facultative)
• Honey (facultative)

Thanks!

Cheese pretzels bought at pizza shops are Hamotzi because the dough tastes like bread, not like cake, and because people eat them as part of their meal, not as a dessert.

This item above looks to be similar to the cheese pretzel in that the dough is bread, not cake, and it is eaten as part of your meal and not as a dessert.

Accordingly, this would be Hamotzi.

If I am wrong about any of my above assumptions please let me know.

I realize this is not a recipe site but is there any way josephal could direct me to the recipe for this?

It is called “Pan de siete sielos,” a Shavuot halah recipe in the form of a mountain (with a ladder, etc) kept by the samekh tetim of Salonika/Turkey brought over from Spain. The whole dairy/cheese meal on Shavuot was never historically a Sephardic custom. The recipe below that my wife makes DOES have cheese filling. She chose it because every Shabbat and holiday we do a big dairy (sheakol/mezonot) breakfast with kidush preceding it. For the holidays only (because of yom tov sheni), we do a full hamosi breakfast meal with the 2 cheese halot; we skip lunch because it would be excessive eating. :slight_smile:

Enjoy!

RECIPE:

VIDEO:

Thank you for this beautiful bread recipe.