Ingredients enough?

Hi,
I am somewhat new to this site,
I noticed that any food product that contains ingredients tht are not treif is considered kosher ,is tht so?
Is it so pashut?

Not so simple.

Packaged products manufactured in the USA that do not contain any meat, chicken, fish, vegetables with bug concerns, cheese, wine or other questionable ingredients is a little more accurate.

1 Like

Thank you,
But what about bishul/pat akum?

Packaged items are ok and are not Bishul Akum.

In regards to Pat Akum, that’s only when you get it from a private person. Otherwise it is called Pat Palter, which is permitted.

So I can walk into any bakery anywhere in the world , and buy baked goods tht are made from flour/sugar/eggs etc and not have to worry abt pat akum at all? And I don’t have to worry abt what else was used in the oven?
For all we know they bake bread and pork in the same oven

Nope. If you take a look at what was written it says ‘packaged products’ made in ‘America’. I dont see where it says you can go anywhere in the world to purchase from any bakery.

3 Likes

Hi there! New to this forum, and joined because I want to learn more about kashrut without ingredients. I think the premise makes sense but I feel there are halakhic questions that I would want answers to before I started following the kashrut based on ingredients.

What does constitute Bishul Akum, if not packaged items? What Halakhic authorities is that based on? Does this also hold true for Ashkenazim/Sephardim, or is there a debate surrounding this?

Thanks in advance

All hashgachahs today rely on manufactured and packaged items as not being a problem of bishul Akum. If you don’t want to accept that premise, you cannot eat OU, OK, chof K, etc.

1 Like

Does the allowance of pre-packaged food not pertaining to bishul akum derive from shulchan melachim? Or is there another concept that is used here? Thanks

In short, It’s called Bishul batei charoshet (Companies). It’s based on the end of Teshuva 48 in Igros Moshe Yoreh Deah 4

1 Like