Kahlua - kosher for Pesach?

No ingredients on the bottle. Is the alcohol derived from chametz grains?

I don’t know. The alcohol is rum from sugar. I just don’t know what else is in there.

It’s on the pesach 2019 list

Then it’s good. I don’t remember the list by heart. That means we checked it.

1 Like

One of the best ways to check alcoholic beverages, since they’re not required to list ingredients, is to check out Celiac websites. They often get some real good info.

1 Like

On verywellfit.com it states:

“Kahlua’s ingredients, as reported by the manufacturer, include: high fructose corn syrup/sugar, cane spirit, coffee extract (cane spirit, sugar, water, caramel), neutral grain spirit, water and wine. The caramel is not derived from gluten grains, but the neutral grain spirit contains wheat-based distilled alcohol, the manufacturer says.”

That seems like it’s a problem for Pesach…

No?

The neutral grain spirit is a small percentage of kahlua in general, and over 90% of that ingredient is water, not grain. So, at the end of the day, if there’s a minute amount of wheat in there, the flavor is gone and it is therefore batel.

How come the wine listed above is not an issue?

I’m not sure the about this product specifically. It would have to be re-researched. But in general the wine is batel if less than 1:6

Stupid question but I’m assuming that kahlua is kosher for year round since it lost its hechsher.

year round yes

1 Like