Kosher for Passover oatmeal?

Pls I think I asked this already not sure you got it but can u explain about the oatmeal on this site it says no .

1 Like

See this post where we explain why oat cannot be eaten on pesach.

2 Likes

Ohel Torah is run by R’ Chaim Abadi and R’ Yehuda Abadi along with several other family members and a few of the closest students of Rav Yitzchak Abadi. Everything on Ohel Torah is in accordance with the rulings of Rav Yitzchak Abadi.

I am the oldest grandson of Rav Yitzchak Abadi and I lived by him and learned with him for decades and he was always very clear that oats on Pesach are not to be eaten.

2 Likes

Hi,
I’m still not clear on the oats not being Shibolet Shual.
Rashi translates the Shibolet Shual to אביינ״א שיבולת שלה עשוי כזנב שועל on Pesachim 35a. The latin word for oats is avena. This certainly seems to be referring to the same thing? Assuming Wikipedia is correct wild oats have the appearance (see:Avena - Wikipedia) of a fox’s tail. At the very least I would assume it’s a question? Please clarify if you can.
Thanks & Chag Kasher VeSameach.

Rashi’s translation is based on the Aruch who brings down two different translations and is not clear to him which is correct (the second being Segala). Additionally, the Gemara in Pesachim 35a and a Mishnah in Kilaim 1:1 states directly that שבולת שועל is a sub-species of barley, and this is cited by many rishonim. Oats is clearly not a part of the barley family – it is a distinct species of grain, unlike segala, which is a form of barley.

Furthermore, the Mishnah in Kilaim indicates that שבולת שועל and שיפון and barley can all cross-breed, which is simply false for oats (but true for segala). This ability to crossbreed is explicitly codified in Shulchan Aruch YD 297:14

Lastly, if one simply looks at a picture of oats and compares it to the other 4 grain themselves (Wheat, spelt, barley and rye), oats looks nothing like the other 4. It is clearly a wholly different species.

There is actually a lot more to say and much has been written about this, but it is clear that oats is not one of the 5 grains.

3 Likes

Those of us in this site, have never heard Rabbi Abadi say that oats are ok to eat on Pesach. He just said that they can be kept on Pesach.

1 Like