Kosher meat

Shalom,

When it comes to Kosher meat and the difference between “Glatt” and non-Glatt.

• Is it that only Beit Yosef Glatt is the only real “Glatt” and the Askenasi “Glatt” is just Kosher?
    And if that is the case is their any difference between eating something that is just Kosher (and with a valid Rabbi overlooking it- such as Hebrew National) to eating something that is Askenasi “Glatt Kosher”? Are they both on the same level of Kashrut but just labelled differently, or are their difference in levels of Kashrut in these cases? (I’m excluding Beit Yosef Glatt in this case but if you would like to elaborate on all 3 please do soo as well)

You’re asking a packed (and important) question!
Long story short, “Glatt” and “Beit Yosef” are just marketing terms used today.
Practically speaking you need to buy meat from a reliable Hechsher. End of story.

2 Likes

Thank you for your time, but I would like to get a more detailed answer about this subject. Are their any actual differences between them or not?
Would Rav Abadi eat something that is just Kosher and not Glatt (and/or Beit Yosef)

I love the enthusiasm! I think we’re best off sticking to the bottom line Halachah and staying out of politics. Rav Abadi eats meat from reliable sources:smile:
There are different qualities of meat, but the literal meaning (i.e. glatt) is not necessarily what it says on the label.

I wasn’t asking about politics but about the Halachic differences between the meat. If their is or their is not any differences in the level of Kashrut or not?

There’s halachic standards and there’s industry standards. In halacha there is a difference. In industry there’s also a difference but it’s not the same. People can call it whatever they want. So I can’t give a general answer regarding industry terminology. I can just say that you need to buy meat from a reliable hechsher and leave the rest up to the mashgichim.

2 Likes