Making tea on Shabbat?

Is it required to make tea in a 3rd cup according to Sephardic Halacha?

Not required with tea bags

Can you please explain why.

Do you need 2 cups? Or straight from the urn is ok?

The general rule is a kli sheni (2nd cup) isnโ€™t prohibited on Shabbat. Therefore one can add water to the cup directly from the urn and put in the tea bag afterwards.

Ralph,
I have a glass container that I add a scoop of tea leaves to, fill it with boiling water, and brew the tea for several minutes. If I add the boiling water from a shabbat water heater, is this any different than using a tea bag?

Same. As long as you out the water first and then the leaves.

What about ืงืœื™ ื”ื‘ื™ืฉื•ืœ

See the Ravโ€™s teshuva about this in Ohr Yitzchak vol 1, siman 164.

1 Like

Hi please explain what about
the rema ืกื™ืžืŸ ืฉื™ื— ืกืขื™ืฃ ื” explicitly writes as well as the ืžื—ื‘ืจ in his first opinon that it is prohibited and there it was talking about something which was already baked.
also Reb nissim karelitz clearly writes if the chazon ish would have saw the ื™ืจืื™ื he would not have said that .
and the ื—ื–ื•ืŸ ืื™ืฉ himself writes in ืกืขื™ืฃ ืงื˜ืŸ ื™ื—-ื™ื˜ that ื ื”ื’ื• ืœื”ื—ืžื™ืจ

I am having a hard time deciphering your writing.

The Gemara, meforshim and all major halachic works throughout the achronim hold that there isnt bishul in kli sheni except for a very specific group of foods mentioned in the Gemara there. Tea is not considered in this group. That is all.

Harav Karilitz was a big Talmid Chachom and was entitled to his opinion and in this case his assumption about the Chazon Ish. Rabbi Abadi does not agree.

See Ohr Yitzchak vol 2 Siman 155 https://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=54963&st=&pgnum=112