Meat restriction before tisha b’av

Hi

Is the restriction of eating meat before tisha b’av only during shavua she chal bo? Meaning it will be permissible to eat meat this upcoming week since tisha b’av is a Sunday this year

Thank you

SSL

Nine days. Sorry :slight_smile:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I recall about three years ago, that you (or one of your brothers) wrote that the Rav had changed his opinion on meat to only shavu’a shechal bo. I changed my minhag as a result. Did I misread the post, or has the Rav changed his psak?

Probably misread something. The Rav held this way for as long as I can remember. The Rav holds that both Sephardim and Ashkenazim should not eat meat during all of the nine days (excluding shabbat).

2 Likes

I asked this question on this site in the past. The answer was no meat after Rosh Chodesh Av.

And that is correct. From Rosh Chodesh until the fast day is all of the 9 days.

1 Like

YaakovS is correct. The former website unquestionably said that the Rav had changed his opinion and that meat is restricted only to shavua shechal bo. It is impossible to search the former website, but his memory is not wrong. This is most unfortunate.

Its irrelevant at this point. The Rav holds that both Sephardim and Ashkenazim should not eat meat during all of the nine days (excluding shabbat).

Not from Rosh Chodesh. It was no meat AFTER Rosh Chodesh. In other words this year we would be able to eat meat this past Thursday night/Friday.

Including Rosh Chodesh so this year Thursday night and Friday we should have avoided eating meat.

Apparently there has been some confusion over the years so lets make it clear going forward.

The Rav holds that both Sephardim and Ashkenazim should not eat meat during all of the nine days including Rosh Chodesh (excluding shabbat).

1 Like

Does Rabbi Adadi hold that poultry is also prohibited during the 9 days, or does he consider poultry “meat?”

Both options seem alike. Yes, poultry is like meat for this.