Natural flavors as ingredient

Hi. I was recently discussing the concept of kashrut without a hashgacha with someone and they said that “natural flavors” is an issue because the FDA allows for all sorts of things to fall into this category. I wanted to see if you can provide more color on this issue because I think the stance of this site is that it is ok. Please advise.

Natural flavors can come from many things including non kosher items.

However, when it comes from meats or fish they are required to label the natural flavor as such.

Thank you. So do you hold that “natural flavors” as listed on ingredient labels is considered kosher? I’m unsure based on the response

Correct, with 2 exceptions:

1. when the source of the natural flavor is listed in the ingredients panel and where that source is problematic.
  2. or when the product itself is meat or chicken flavored, etc. so we may suspect the natural flavors may be problematic.
1 Like

Why number 2?

(3) Substances obtained by cutting, grinding, drying, pulping, or similar processing of tissues derived from fruit, vegetable, meat, fish, or poultry, e.g., powdered or granulated onions, garlic powder, and celery powder, are commonly understood by consumers to be food rather than flavor and shall be declared by their common or usual name (CFR - Code of Federal Regulations Title 21 ).

That’s only part of the law.

See full regulations here CFR - Code of Federal Regulations Title 21 2

And see this screenshot