Oatly oat milk

Oats aren’t kosher for passover

We are almost certain that Oats are not one of the 5 grains, but because of the extreme chumrah of Pesach, we refrain from eating it on Pesach. It may still be kept in the house without having to sell it.

Additionally, one should be very careful not to use Oat “Matzah” on pesach for the seder. It is readily sold in stores as a “gluten free option” for pesach. This is incorrect. It is not considered bread and therefore you are not Yotzeh the Mitzvah.

The correct bracha for Oat matzah and oat anything is Haadamah NOT mezonot.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity what are the 5 grains?

Thank you.

That becomes a little tricky. You generally hear wheat, barley, oats, spelt and rye. Wheat and Barley are for sure in. Oat is almost certainly out. Segala might be a possibility as well as 2 row barley as the Gemara says that Shibolet Shual (which has come to be known as oats) is a sub species of barley. We may not know for sure.

2 Likes

Hi,
1.I have a follow-up question, in the 2021 passover list all oat cereal are listed as KFP. Im confused how can that differ from the oat milk.
Below is copied from the list from the cereal section-
Cereal -All Brands -Oatmeal- All 100% Oats

Our 2021 Pesach list does not include oats. See the 2021 list here

Thank you! Are there discussions of this “doubt” in english language literature? (I never knew that the identity of the 5 grains was in doubt…)

Not that I’ve seen. Even in the Hebrew literature there is little discussion. It’s very hard to describe something that has so many variations, and is named differently, from place to place and generation to generation.
going back a few hundred years, everyone knew what the 5 grains were. The discussion only goes back several generations

How come the 2023 pesach list allows the consumption of oats number 1306

I don’t see anything at row 1306?