Pumping on Shabbat

I’ve been told by a few women now that if you’re pumping on Shabbat or Yom Tov you need to pump and dump. Does this apply to milk that is to be used on Shabbat or Yom Tov? or only milk that’s going to be saved for later? does the age of the baby make a difference?

It doesn’t make a difference when it is going to be used. The issue of pumping milk is Mefarek, and therefore saving the milk would be a Torah prohibition. We allow pumping for medical reasons (causes pain to the mother) or for the baby (to not lose the ability to produce milk) but the milk itself needs to be thrown out to show that your not doing the act for the milk itself.

1 Like

What if there is no milk left for the baby and they will only take a bottle?

Not sure what you’re saying

I’m having trouble with this one because pumping is done for the health of the baby. Some babies will only take a bottle and not nurse from the mother at all. A baby typically consumes 24 ounces of milk a day. Dumping that much milk every single shabbat is painful at the very least. But if the baby is out of milk because of this are you required to give formula?

Unless the baby is not well and you have to feed her/him your Milk, you would have to give Formula or water. If the baby is not well R"L you shoulld ask the Dr how severe it is for the baby and then with that information contact your Rabbi

What about shabbos clock and mother puts the pump on before it turns on
is that a grama that is permitted to allow to feed her child?

What about shabbos clock and mother puts the pump on before it turns on
is that a grama that is permitted to allow to feed her child?

Interesting. Assuming the women connects the pump before it turns on and does not have to touch the pump at anytime while its in use that may be permitted. I’d have to ask the Rav and get back to you. Haven’t thought of this before.

Any update from the Rav regarding pumping milk with time clock to save the milk if she puts the pump before it turns on is that a grama that is permitted?

Hi did you ask the Rav about a shbbos clock for a electric pump?

What about a manual pump? such as a Haakaa

If you use a manual pump on Shabbat you would have to spill out the milk and not feed it to the baby unless there is a specific situation as mentioned here: Pumping on Shabbat