Vegan Restaurant in USA

Can one eat in a restaurant that is vegan only and does not serve meat?

As long as you know when to apply the rules of Bishul Akum (cooking of a non-Jew)

I have seen many Teshuvot on this wonderful site that result in Bishul Akum. My question is: is it possible that what “Melachim” eat is below the standard of what was eaten historically by them, i.e. the case of french fries (veg)? And, who really is a “Melech” in our time, anyway? (Certainly a matter of debate, yes.)

If the Halachah follows the times, then who’s opinion/definition of “Melech” must one adhere to in order to decide in the case of “Oleh Shulhan” or not? Can we leave it to our own judgement where that line is crossed?

Thank you.

As a general rule, if there is a food that you would serve a guest, then it’s considered Oleh Al Shulchan Melachim. It doesn’t need to be some kind of special delicacy.

It also depends on the time and place. Nowadays almost everything would be included in this category.

An example Rabbi Abadi once gave me of something that ISN’T Oleh Al Shulchan Melachim is sardines. If you’re unsure - it’s always best to ask.

1 Like

I just noticed this sentence at beginning of the post from Davidhasofer 2 days ago.
“I have seen many Teshuvot on this wonderful site that result in Bishul Akum.”
In an attempt to always be clear and avoid misunderstandings, he meant to say, “I have seen many Teshuvot on this wonderful site that result in Bishul Akum --and therefore are Assur–".
Thanks

2 Likes