Does my glass kitchen table top require tvilah?

Does a glass table top require tvilah?

Correction. It does.
Simple solution is to sell it to a non-Jew for a dollar.

1 Like

Rabbi but we don’t eat off the table (or shelfs in refrigerator) like they did in the old. It’s not a food utensil. What’s the logic of this?

You put food directly on the shelves in the refrigerator and glass table top such as fruit and bread. The food touches the glass so it requires tvilah.

If you NEVER put food directly on the table or glass shelves then it would not require tvilah.

This is not rov tashmisho… it is only once in a while … why do u need tevila

What does rov tashmisho have to do with the laws of tvilat keilim?

I dont see how this is relevant here. When you buy a refrigerator or glass kitchen table you are absolutely buying it to use for food. I’m pretty sure you didnt buy the kitchen table or the fridge as a diaper changing table.

With all due respect rabbi i am not questioning u I’m just asking innocently… I thought since 99 precent of people dont place food directly on their refrigerator shelves (usually in a container ) it doesnt need tevila

Simple difference,
The table is for food, but not generally used for direct contact with food. However, it is never used for changing diapers. Anyways, the Shulchan Aruch says a “keli seuda” requires tevilah. I’m not sure why you consider a table and a refrigerator to be a keli seuda?

If you never put food on the glass in your refrigerator then it would not require tevilah. If you want to put food on the glass it requires tevilah.

Take a look inside your refrigerator and you will almost certainly find food directly on the glass shelves such as fruits and vegetables. I have never found a fridge that doesn’t have food sitting directly on the glass shelving.

The table is for food and therefore “keli seuda” which requires tevilah. I’d suggest you learn these halachot again and you will find that “keli seuda” is a broad term referring to anything used for food and in direct contact with food. This includes a lot more than just forks and knives.

Additionally, as I said earlier, take a look inside your refrigerator and you will almost certainly find food directly on the glass shelves such as fruits and vegetables. I have never found a fridge that doesn’t have food sitting directly on the glass shelving. This applies to tables as well. I’ve almost always found people placing their bread on the glass table even though everything else was served on plates.

Does it matter that food in the refrigerator is always wrapped in packaging or another container?

If its always wrapped then it would be fine. But remember, if you want to place any food, fruit, or vegetables directly in the glass shelving it requires tevilah first.

See Ohr Yitzchak volume 2 where Rav Abadi goes through many common questions and common misconceptions about Tevilat Keilim

http://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=54963&st=&pgnum=199

A table is not considered a keli seuda. And any covering would be batel to the table. The same applies to a refrigerator, and movable draw would be considered batel to the fridge. See R. Shlomo Zalman Aurebach in Shalme Moved page 555-556.

Does HaRav Abadi say differently?

People sometimes place there bread and other dry food directly on the table that they eat from.
If the table top is glass then it would require tevilah.
In so far as it is difficult to bring your table top to the Mikva, there is a simple solution whereby you offer a non Jew to be a partner with you in the ownership of the table. An item owned, even partially by a non Jew does not require tevilah. While technically you could do this suggestion on all your vessels it would neutralize the beautiful mitzvah of tevilas kelim and that’s not a viable option either.

As to the repetitive nature of the questioner, One can question this psak as often as you want but that doesn’t change the psak. This is what the Rav holds and has held for many years.

How little of a partnership does the non-jew need to have?

You are not charging him for it. You can gift it to him.
There is no partnership agreement so you don’t need to specify that.

Does he have to know?