Wearing a mask on shabbos no eiruv

Is this permitted? The mask is the one that you hook the strings around your ears.

The Rav has ruled that its not permissible. On a practical note, prepare one in shul before shabbos.

This is a difficult psak to live with.

1. In Israel there are fines for people who walk outside without masks.
  2. There is a risk of infecting people in the public as well.
  3. Also, the public will see a Ben Torah not seeming to care for the health of others.

Having said that, I agree that none of these reasons justifies Hilul Shabbat. Obviously one has to follow what oneโ€™s Rav says.
Does the Rav have any suggestions? Different type of mask perhaps?

Thanks and tizke lemisvot!

I do not know the legal issue of Israel. But here in NJ when there was a edict to wear masks it was called a face covering not necessarily a mask. Therefore if you will not get a fine the Rav would recommend a scarf covering ones face. Or a bandana, or other such form of clothing which is permissible.

As to your example specifically, I donโ€™t know of a city in Israel that does not have an Eruv, and perhaps thatโ€™s why the rule is more stringent to mandate masks even out doors. (My thoughts-not the Rav)

How is a scarf and all that parafanallia different them a mask? Is it bc the mask is disposable and not considered clothing?

No, Its because the scarf is an article of clothing and is โ€œwornโ€ in a normal fashion. A mask attached to the ears is not. A bandanna which is tied around the whole head (remember the cowboy movies) is a different story and is permissible

1 Like

The Ravs psak is very very difficult to understand after all the ืฉื•ืœื—ืŸ ืขืจื•ืš in ืกื™ืžืŸ ืฉื ืกืขื™ืฃ ื™ื’ says it is permitted

Take a look around outside how people wear surgical masks. The majority of people take it on and off constantly. On when they walk into a building. Off when they go outside. On when they meet someone in the street and off again when they finish the conversation.

Also, where do you see the shulchan aruch saying a mask should be ok on Shabbat?

Also, see ืื•ืจ ื™ืฆื—ืง ืโ€™ ืกื™ืžืŸ ืง"ื›

Also, see ืื•ืจ ื™ืฆื—ืง ืโ€™ ืกื™ืžืŸ ืงื›"ื•

ืฉื•ืœื—ืŸ ืขืจื•ืš ืกื™ืžืŸ ืฉื ืกืขื™ืฃ ื™ื’ ื•ื›ืœ ื”ืื—ืจื•ื ื™ื

ืื‘ืœ ืื ืงื•ืฉืจืชื• ื›ื“ื™ ืฉืœื ื™ื›ืื‘ ืœื” ื”ื“ื ื•ืœื ืชืฆื˜ืขืจ ืžื•ืชืจ ืœืฆืืช ื‘ื•

ื“ื›ื™ื•ืŸ ืฉื›ื•ื ืชื” ื‘ืฉื‘ื™ืœ ืฆืขืจ ื“ืจืš ืžืœื‘ื•ืฉ ื”ื•ื ื›ืฉืืจ ืžืœื‘ื™ืฉื™ื ืฉื”ื ืขืฉื•ื™ื ืœื”ื’ื ืช ื”ื’ื•ืฃ ื•ืžื•ืชืจ

Not if itโ€™s something that people will take off and carry like slippers.

We cannot make up our own gezoros

See Rema Oโ€CH 301- 16

See ืขืจื•ืš ื”ืฉื•ืœื—ืŸ ืกื™ืžืŸ ืฉ"ื ืกืขื™ืฃ ืก"ื

As always, thank you. That is extremely helpful. Yes, in Israel any face covering is acceptable as far as I know.

I was under the impression that the Rav doesnโ€™t rely on the eiruvin in Israel (at least not in Jerusalem). Am I incorrect in this?

Thanks

The Rav does not hold by many of the eruvim out there. Until verified to be good, the Rav does not hold by any eruv.

The Rav has verified that the Eruv in Har Nof is good.

Are there any eruvin in america that he holds by?

Sure, there are many eruvim that the Rav holds by and more that the Rav does not hold by.

1 Like

How can we find out which ones he holds are fine?